Table of Contents
The Definition of plus-size and common misconceptions surrounding plus-size bodies.
Plus-size is a term used to describe individuals who are above a certain size, typically above a size 14 in the United States. However, the exact definition of plus-size can vary depending on the brand, store, or industry.
There are several common misconceptions surrounding plus-size bodies. One is that plus-size individuals are lazy or lack self-discipline, which is not true. Body size is not indicative of a person’s health or fitness level.
Another misconception is that plus-size individuals are not fashionable or stylish, which is also not true. Plus-size individuals can be just as stylish and fashionable as those who are considered to be a smaller size.
Additionally, some people believe that plus-size individuals should hide their bodies or only wear certain types of clothing, but everyone should be free to wear what they feel comfortable and confident in regardless of their size.
Importance of proper bra fit for plus-size women
Proper bra fit is important for all women, regardless of size. However, it is especially important for plus-size women as they are more likely to experience issues with ill-fitting bras. A properly fitting bra can provide support, comfort and can make a woman feel more confident. A poorly fitting bra can cause discomfort, back pain, and can make clothes fit poorly.
The right bra size is crucial for plus-size women as they often have to deal with issues such as straps that dig in, bands that ride up, cups that are too small or too big, and underwires that dig in. A bra that fits well will distribute the weight of the breasts evenly across the band, reducing the strain on the shoulders, back and neck.
Proper bra fit can also help to improve posture, which can lead to less back pain, and can help to prevent issues such as breast sagging and chafing. A well-fitting bra can also help to smooth out the silhouette under clothing, which can improve the overall look of an outfit.
In summary, Proper bra fit for plus-size women is important for the support, comfort, confidence, posture, and overall appearance of the person.
Understanding Plus-Size Bra Sizing
Traditional bra sizing, which is based on band size and cup size, can be inadequate for plus-size women for a few reasons:
- Limited size range: Many traditional bra brands only carry a limited range of sizes, which can make it difficult for plus-size women to find a bra that fits properly.
- Inconsistency in sizing: Traditional bra sizing can be inconsistent across different brands and manufacturers, which can make it difficult for plus-size women to find a bra that fits well from one brand to another.
- Lack of options for smaller band, larger cup sizes: Traditional bra sizing often does not cater to plus-size women with smaller band sizes and larger cup sizes, which can make it difficult for these women to find bras that fit well.
- Limited styles: Plus-size women may also find that traditional bra styles do not cater to their needs, as they may not be available in their size range or may not be designed to provide the support and coverage they require.
All of these factors can make it difficult for plus-size women to find a bra that fits well, which can lead to discomfort, back pain, and a lack of confidence. While traditional bra sizing can be inadequate for plus-size women, there are alternative sizing options, such as extended size ranges, custom-fit bras, and more specialized brands that can provide better fitting for plus-size women.
Are there Alternative sizing options, such as band and cup sizes?
There are several alternative sizing options for plus-size women who may have difficulty finding a bra that fits well using traditional sizing methods. Some of these options include:
- Extended size ranges: Some brands and manufacturers offer extended size ranges that include larger band and cup sizes, which can make it easier for plus-size women to find a bra that fits well.
- Custom-fit bras: Some brands and manufacturers offer custom-fit bra services, where women can have a bra made specifically to their measurements. This can ensure a perfect fit for plus-size women who may have difficulty finding a bra that fits well using traditional sizing methods.
- Specialized plus-size brands: There are also specialized plus-size bra brands that focus on providing bras for larger band and cup sizes. These brands often have a better understanding of the specific fit needs of plus-size women and may offer a wider range of sizes, styles, and options.
- Sister sizing: Sister sizing is a technique used to find a similar size bra if your usual size is not available. It involves trying a bra with a different band size but the same cup size, or vice versa.
- International Sizing: Some brands and manufacturers may have different sizing standards, International sizes may have different measurements and may fit better for some plus-size women.
It’s important to note that each individual’s body is unique, so it’s important to try on different sizes and styles to find the best fit. It’s also important to keep in mind that bra size can fluctuate due to factors such as weight changes and pregnancy, so it’s a good idea to be re-measured and re-fitted regularly.
Common Fit Issues for Plus-Size Women
Issues with band fit are common among plus-size women and can lead to discomfort, back pain, and a lack of confidence. Some common issues with band fit include:
- Riding up: If the band of a bra rides up in the back, it is likely too large. This can cause the straps to slip off the shoulders, and can also lead to a lack of support.
- Digging in: If the band of a bra digs into the skin, it is likely too small. This can cause discomfort and can also lead to chafing and skin irritation.
- Loose band: A band that is too loose can also cause problems with fit. A loose band can cause the bra to ride up, which can also lead to a lack of support.
- Expanding Band: A band that is too tight can cause the band to expand and stretch out over time. This can cause the bra to become loose and less supportive.
To ensure a proper band fit, it is important to ensure that the band is snug but not tight. It should be snug enough to stay in place without riding up or digging in, but not so tight that it causes discomfort or restricts breathing.
It’s important to remember that bra bands tend to stretch out over time, so it may be necessary to go down a band size or to adjust the hook and eye closures as the bra ages. It’s also recommended to check the band size every 6 month as body changes can affect the fit of the bra.
Cup fit issues, such as spillage or gaps and how to address these fit issues
Cup fit issues can also be common among plus-size women and can lead to discomfort and a lack of confidence. Some common cup fit issues include:
- Spillage: If the cups of a bra are too small, they may not be able to contain all of the breast tissue, which can cause spillage or “quad-boob” effect.
- Gaps: If the cups of a bra are too large, there may be gaps or wrinkles in the cups, which can also indicate that the bra is not the right size.
- Smashed Boobs: if the cups of a bra are too tight, it can cause the breasts to appear flattened or “smashed”,
To address these fit issues, it is important to ensure that the cups of the bra are the right size and shape for the breasts. This can involve trying on different sizes and styles of bras to find the best fit, and also adjusting the straps to ensure that they are not too loose or too tight.
It’s also important to be aware of the shape of the breasts, for example, if the breasts are wider-set, balconette bras may be a better fit. If the breasts are more close-set, a plunge bra may be a better fit.
Another tip is to check the cup size and shape, a cup that is too shallow or too wide can cause spillage or gaps, and a cup that is too narrow or too deep can cause the breast to be squished or not fill the cup properly.
If you still have trouble finding the right fit, it may be helpful to consult with a professional fitter at a lingerie store. They can measure you and help you find the right size and style of bras that will provide the support and coverage you need.
Bra Styles for Plus-Size Women – an Overview
- Full coverage bras: These bras provide full coverage for the breasts and are designed to keep everything contained and supported. They are typically recommended for women with larger busts, as they offer more support and help to prevent spillage.
- Balconette bras: These bras feature cups that are cut lower on the top, giving the appearance of a more lifted and rounded breast shape. They are a great option for women with wider-set breasts, as they bring the breasts closer together.
- Plunge bras: These bras feature a deep V-neckline and are designed to enhance cleavage and to provide support while wearing low-cut tops or dresses. They are a great option for women with close-set breasts, as they push the breasts closer together.
- T-Shirt bras: These bras are designed to be worn under tight-fitting clothing and are seamless and invisible under clothes. They are great option for everyday wear and for special occasions.
- Sports bras: These bras are designed to provide extra support and control during physical activities. They are usually made from stretchy, breathable fabrics and come in a variety of styles, including compression, encapsulation, and combination.
- Strapless bras: These bras are designed to be worn without straps and are typically worn with strapless or off-the-shoulder tops or dresses. They are available in a variety of styles, including full coverage and plunge.
- Adhesive bras: These bras are designed to be worn without straps and are typically worn with strapless or backless tops or dresses. They are made from a special adhesive material that sticks to the skin and provides support.
- Longline bras: These bras extend down the torso, providing additional support and coverage. They are great for women who have trouble with the band of the bra riding up or for those who want additional support for the lower back.
It’s important to note that different styles of bras can be better suited for different occasions and clothing styles. It’s good to have a variety of bras in your lingerie collection so you can choose the best one for any occasion.
Here are a few plus-size friendly brands that offer a wide range of sizes, styles and good quality:
- Elomi: This brand offers a wide range of sizes up to 46H and specializes in full coverage bras and longline bras.
- Curvy Kate: This brand offers a wide range of sizes up to 46K and specializes in balconette and plunge bras.
- Freya: This brand offers a wide range of sizes up to 46K and specializes in balconette and plunge bras.
- Panache: This brand offers a wide range of sizes up to 46K and specializes in balconette and plunge bras.
- Bravissimo: This brand is a plus-size specialist and offers a wide range of sizes up to 46L and specializes in bras of all styles.
- Figleaves: This brand offers a wide range of sizes up to 46K and specializes in bras of all styles.
- Lane Bryant: This brand specializes in plus-size clothing, and offers a wide range of bras and lingerie for plus-size women.
- Addition Elle: This brand specializes in plus-size clothing, and offers a wide range of bras and lingerie for plus-size women.
- Eloquii: This brand specializes in plus-size clothing, and offers a wide range of bras and lingerie for plus-size women.
- Torrid: This brand specializes in plus-size clothing, and offers a wide range of bras and lingerie for plus-size women.
It’s important to note that these are just a few examples and there are many other brands that offer plus-size friendly options. It’s also good to check for customer reviews, measurements and return policies before making a purchase.